Full-time international students

About living in Lithuania

Moving to another country is not easy, especially if the country is culturally different from your own. Please see the topics below and it will help for a smooth integration. Hopefully, this guide will answer any questions you might have regarding your studies, accommodation, health matters, free time and everything in between.

Active student life in Vilnius

Develop your career from startup to big names by being a part of a close-knit community of enthusiastic professionals and entrepreneurs. 

Soak up the art in Vilnius’ theatres, galleries and street art places. 

Catch a beat at Vilnius’ festivals, open-airs and concerts. 

Take a breath of fresh air at Vilnius’ cozy courtyards, parks and terraces. 


https://www.govilnius.lt/visit-vilnius or Events | International House Vilnius (ihvilnius.lt)  

Work in Lithuania

If you are a foreign student and looking for a job, “Work in Lithuania” will help you to kickstart your career here! 


Here you can browse jobs at international companies and startups located in Lithuania. The website was launched by “Study in LT” partners “Work in Lithuania” – the initiative which encourages professionals living abroad to build their careers in Lithuania and helps international companies meet their potential employees. 


International students have the right to work while studying in Lithuania as long as they are enrolled in a university. EU students can work full-time, meaning up to 40 hours per week. International students from non EU countries can also work up to 40 hours per week after obtaining the temporary residence permit. The limitation of working time does not apply to international students.  

After graduating, you also have the possibility to apply for a temporary residence permit for 12 months for job search and self-employment purposes. 

! If you have a national visa (D) for your studies, you are NOT allowed to work during your studies (only after obtaining a temporary residence permit). 

Housing / Accomodation

We are pleased to welcome students at ISM and we are willing to help them find the accommodation during the study period. 


Please keep in mind that students sign the accommodation contract with properties directly. However, for the convenience of students ISM has signed contracts with some hotels/brokers.  

You can find our accommodation options here – ISM accommodation guide.

If you would like to find an accommodation on your own, please check the information below – Aruodas.lt: nekilnojamo turto skelbimai | NT skelbimai , the biggest and most popular website for real estate rentals is Aruodas. In addition to this, you may contact a real estate agency that will help you to find an apartment. Please contact them via e-mail: hello@urbanrent.lt (NB! Real estate agency takes service fee). 

TIPS ON RENTING IN VILNIUS can be found here: Step by Step Guide to Renting in Vilnius | Go Vilnius 

Health matters

All international students are supposed to have medical insurance valid in Lithuania for the study period (it can be obtained each year). 

Health insurance for EU students

Students who are the citizens of European Union member countries are required to either have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or form E111 confirming that the student has EU health insurance, valid in Lithuania. 

Students who hold a European Health Insurance Card can get medical help by consulting their prescribed family doctor (GP) at any health care institution that has a contract with the Territorial Health Insurance Fund (THIF). Your family doctor could send you to a specialist if in need. Both – visiting your family doctor or a specialist are fully covered if the doctor has a contract with one of the territorial health insurance funds. 

The cost of dental treatment services is also covered for holders of EHIC who visit dentists that have contracts with THIF (although it is the patient’s obligation to pay for the materials). Such dentists usually work in national health care institutions. Most dentists in Vilnius work privately and payment for full treatment is usually needed. 

EU students who have private health insurance shall at first cover all of those health care expenses and then inform their health insurance company in order to get a refund – unless the insurance policy states otherwise. 

Medicines are usually only included in the hospitalization cost, while medicines prescribed by doctors have to be bought by patients. Prescribed subsidized medicines are partly covered by the national health insurance fund (Lithuanian: Valstybinė ligonių kasa – VLK) for EHIC holders. Any outstanding amount has to be paid by the patient. You will have to pay the full price for any pharmaceutical which is not listed in the national price list of subsidized medicines. 

Health insurance for non-EU students

All students who are citizens of non-EU member countries are required to obtain health insurance either in their home country or Lithuania. 

The cost of health insurance obtained in Lithuania may vary from around 50 to 150 EUR per year depending on the insurance policy (mainly on what part of the treatment cost is covered). This has to be done by contacting one of the private insurance companies if the student does not have a Permanent Residency Permit (if so, local THIF has to be contacted). 

Students from non-EU countries applying for the visa have to prove to the Migration Office that they have valid health insurance. The following requirements for the insurance contract (policy) have to be fulfilled: 

The health insurance contract (policy) shall guarantee that all basic medical assistance costs and travel expenses which may arise in connection with the return, for health reasons, of an alien to the homeland (medical transportation, including escort by medical brigade or a doctor) will be covered. 

The following information shall be indicated in the insurance policy:

– Number of the Health Insurance Contract (policy);
– Particulars of the insurance undertaking (name, address of registered office, telephone and fax numbers);
– Full name of the insured person;
– The amount covered by the Health Insurance Contract;
– Duration of the Health Insurance Contract (at least by the end of the study period);
– The territorial coverage of Health Insurance Contract (policy);
– Non-insured events. 

Lithuanian state scholarships for full-time master’s degree or integrated studies

Education Exchanges Support Foundation offers 100 Lithuanian state scholarships for full-time Master’s degree or integrated studies (a maximum of the two last years of the integrated studies) at Lithuanian higher education institutions every year. Funding under the Call is provided to the citizens of Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, China, Georgia, Israel, Japan, South Korea, Moldova, Ukraine and foreigners of Lithuanian origin from non-EU and EFTA countries.  

You can find all the information here: Full-Time Master Degree Studies – Study in Lithuania  

In case you have any questions relates to scholarships, please contact Education Exchanges Support Foundation by email: master.scholarships@smpf.lt  

Student discounts

Students in Lithuania receive discounts in various places from restaurants to museums, from public transportation to certain shops. 

In order to use ALL discounts, you will need to have: 
• Lithuanian Student Identity Card (LSIC); 
• International Student Identity Card (ISIC). 

LSIC is issued and administered by the Lithuanian National Union of Students (LSS) and is valid in Lithuania only. The card is mandatory for ALL students in Lithuania, including students of student exchange programmes. ISIC is an international student identity card. It is not mandatory, but it is recognized all around the world and it is a must if you plan to travel abroad. 

If you want to access as many student discounts as possible, we would recommend you to have BOTH. 

Lithuanian language

A Lithuanian Language Crash Course is organized during the Welcome Week for all new incoming international students.

If you are interested in learning more and showing off your skills while communicating with the locals you can sign up for a Lithuanian Language course for Beginners and attend the classes throughout the semester (1 lecture per week, 1,5h each, 3 ECTS). The course is free of charge. The classes are organized if 10 or more students register to the course.

For more info please contact: international@international.ism.lt

In case you would like to check other options outside university, please have a look here: Learn Lithuanian – Study in Lithuania

Counselling and psychological wellbeing

University provides psychological counseling for students who want to overcome their present difficulties and learn to tackle similar problems in the future.  

The issues for counseling in most cases relate to:  

  • Uncertainty caused by the need to take important decisions 
  • Strong feeling of sadness, anxiety, fears
  • Problems at work or studies 
  • Stressful events (divorce, loss of the joy of life, and other unpleasant experiences) 
  • Lack of self-confidence 

If you want to have a consultation, you can register through e-learning system or email. Consultations are provided in English, Russian and Lithuanian languages. 

Psychological help for ISM students - contacts

Migration guide

International students have to apply for a visa or a residence permit depending on their citizenship and the length of their studies at ISM university. 

Please check if you do need a visa or residence permit to enter Lithuania: Do I need a visa to enter Lithuania?   

Useful links to find more information




For EU / EFTA students

Residence permit

Citizens of the European Union (EU) may enter the Republic of Lithuania and stay there in for a period not exceeding three months starting from the first day of entry into the Republic of Lithuania. The same right is vested to the citizens of the European Free Trade Association (EFTA) Member States (Iceland, Norway, Switzerland, and Lichtenstein). 

All full-time students coming to study in Lithuania for more than 90 days are required to register with the Migration Department within three months from the date of entering Lithuania. They must obtain a certificate of temporary residence in the Republic of Lithuania and declare their place of residence. 

To register with the Migration Department, you have to complete an online application form and upload the following documents: 

  1. Valid travel document (passport or ID card); 
  1. Proofs of sufficient means of support (at least 157 EUR per month); 
  1. European Health Insurance Card (or Private Health Insurance); 
  1. Certificate of Student Status (“pažyma apie studijas” can be ordered by sending an email to migration@international.ism.lt.) 
  1. Commitment to declare the place of residence; 
  1. State fee in the amount of 8.60 EUR (payment code 5740). 

You have an obligation to declare your place of residence (address) in Lithuania by choosing one of the following options: 

  1. upon arrival to the Migration Department at the pre-booked time of your visit for submitting the originals of the documents attached to the application for issue of a temporary residence certificate and your biometric data. You will need to provide one of the following documents: 
  • Lease or loan-for-use agreement is concluded with the natural person or legal entity. 
  • Letter issued by the legal entity confirming the right to settle-in the premises belonging to the legal entity or the document confirming accommodation at the hotel, or the granted hostel. 


  1. at eldership or municipality within 1 month after collection of the temporary residence certificate. You will need to provide the following documents: 
  • Copy of the temporary residence permit (from both sides). 
  • Proof of accommodation (rental agreement, confirmation from the hotel, dormitory, etc.). 
  • Completed and signed declaration form. 

Please note that administrative liability may be applied for non-compliance with the requirement to declare residence in Lithuania.  

You can be insured with Compulsory Health Insurance covered by the Government of Lithuania only after your temporary residence certificate is provided to the university administration (faculty administration or IRO). 

For non-EU / EFTA citizens

Before arrival

All international students from Non- EU/EFTA countries coming for studies to Lithuania are required to get a multiple entry national visa (D) or Temporary Residence Permit (TRP). 

Please note that from 01.01.2023, it is recommended to submit applications for issuing residence permits through external service providers, therefore national (D) visa for arrival to Lithuania will not be needed. 

  • The decision to issue TRP – within 2 months, however, sending the document abroad will take extra time and the time it takes the external service provider will contact the foreign national to serve him document. 
  • The NON-EU / EFTA CITIZENS will come to Lithuania with TRP (no additional visas will be required). 
  • To the Migration Department’s external service provider in a specific location all foreigners can apply in the state, it depends on whether they are there resident in the state or not. 


! From 07/01/2023, applications for issuing national D visas abroad are only accepted at the external service providers of the Migration Department. Issue decisions visas will be accepted by the Migration Department, not the Lithuanian diplomatic offices, representative offices. 

Applications for Schengen visas will continue to be submitted to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to selected external service providers or diplomatic missions. Decisions to issue Schengen visas will continue to be made by Lithuanian diplomatic missions 

! You cannot obtain a national visa (D) upon arrival in Lithuania. 

! A multiple entry national visa (D) can be issued for the period not exceeding one year (new visa for the next 12 months can be issued not earlier than 180 days after the expiration of the last visa or the total validity period of all visas you had). 

! If you have a national visa (D) for your studies, you are NOT allowed to work during your studies (only after obtaining a temporary residence permit). 

! Only doctoral and master students (residence permit holders) can bring their family to Lithuania. 

Applying for national D visa

The application documents for the issue of national visa (D) should be submitted to the closest Embassy, Diplomatic Mission or Consular Post of the Republic of Lithuaniabefore arrival. The decision to issue a national visa shall be made within 15-45 days after the receipt of visa application. 


! You cannot obtain a national visa (D) upon arrival in Lithuania. 

! A multiple entry national visa (D) can be issued for the period not exceeding one year (new visa for the next 12 months can be issued not earlier than 180 days after the expiration of the last visa or the total validity period of all visas you had). 

! If you have a national visa (D) for your studies, you are NOT allowed to work during your studies (only after obtaining a temporary residence permit). 

! Only doctoral and master students (residence permit holders) can bring their family to Lithuania. 

According to the Lithuanian law on privacy the embassy is not allowed to communicate with a third party (e.g. University) about a visa application or a refusal reason. 

The necessary documents to be submitted to the nearest Lithuanian Embassy for a multiple entry national visa (D): 

  1. Completed application for issuing the national visa in the established format (printed and signed by the applicant); 
  1. One colour passport photo (35×45 mm with light colour background, no older than 6 months); 
  1. Valid passport (its copy and copy of all stamped pages): 
  • Its validity period being at least three months longer than the validity period of the requested visa; 
  • It shall contain at least two blank pages; 
  • It shall have been issued within the previous 10 years. 
  1. Proofs of sufficient amount of funds for subsistence (at least 420 EUR per month + 840 EUR for the return to the state of origin);  
  1. Health insurance
  • Covering the entire period of intended stay. 
  • Valid in all participant states of the Schengen Area. 
  • The minimum coverage shall be EUR 30 000. 
  1. Number of Mediation Letter from Vilnius University to issue a national visa (D) - Request form;  
  1. Letter of Acceptance(or Certificate of Student Status ordered via VU IS eStudent application); 
  1. Consular fee: 60–120 EUR. 

Note 1: Supporting documents that are in a language other than Lithuanian or English must be accompanied by an official translation of the original document, or of a certified copy of the original document in Lithuanian or English. 

Note 2: The Embassy/ Consulate reserves the right to request additional information/ documentation and if deemed necessary, to interview the applicant. For detailed information on all visa requirements, it is advisable to visit the website of the Embassy/Consulate of the Republic of Lithuanian. 

Note 3: A national visa (D), as well as a temporary residence permit, allows students to travel via Schengen area countries for 3 months in each period of 6 months. 

After arrival – applying for temporary residence permit

If you are coming for degree studies and intend to study at ISM university for more than one year, you have to apply for a Temporary Residence Permit (TRP) to stay in Lithuania. This permit may be issued for a maximum period of 2 years and can be renewed later, but it cannot exceed the period of study. 

The application must be submitted after your arrival in Lithuania or after the first semester spent at ISM University, but no later than 4 months before the expiration of your visa. 

The decision to issue a TRP shall be made: 

  • within 2 months in general order (urgently- 1 month) after the application for the issuance/ extension of the TRP is submitted to the Territorial division of the Migration Department. 
  • within 3 months after the application for the issuance of the TRP is submitted to the external service provider (VFS Global). 

To obtain the TRP you have to complete an online application form and upload the following documents: 

  1. Valid Travel document (passport); 
  1. Document confirming the legal stay (e.g., valid visa, TRP); 
  1. Proofs of sufficient amount of funds for subsistence(at least 420 EUR per month/ 5040 EUR per year);   
  1. Health insurance (the insurance amount comprises 6000 EUR); 
  1. Document concerning the place of residence in the Republic of Lithuania; 
  1. Commitment to declare the place of residence; 
  1. Certificate of Non-Criminal Record/ Police Clearance certificate (NOT required for TRP extension); 
  1. Number of Mediation Letter - Request form; 
  1. State fee in the amount of 60 EUR (in general order) / 120 EUR (in urgent order).  

You can choose a convenient date and time from the calendar available after submitting an online application to visit the migration division to submit your biometric data, as well as original documents. 


Note1: The health insurance, the bank account statement (in EUR or USD) and the certificate of non-criminal record/PCC may be issued in English or Lithuanian. All other documents must be in Lithuanian. 

Note2: The certificate of non-criminal record must be legalized and (or) certified by an Apostille. To legalize documents in Lithuania, you have to contact the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Lithuania. 

Note3: The decision does not grant the right to be within the Republic of Lithuania without a visa or exceed the period of visa-free stay!  

Note4: The fee for VFS Global services shall be paid additionally (courier service fee is included). 


The TRP application can be rejected if: 

  • You have collected less than 40 ECTS credits during the last academic year. The Migration Department can reject your application if you cannot provide a valid reason (e.g. sickness, death of a family member/relative or other) along with the supporting documents. 
  • You have financial debts to Lithuanian state institutions (SODRA, VMI, and etc). 
  • You did not provide all the necessary documents, the documents are not properly prepared (no translation, no Apostille, etc.). 
  • Your place of residence is not declared (when applying for a TRP extension). 

! Your TRP will be revokedwithin a few weeks if your studies are suspended, you go on academic leave or your study agreement is terminated. You have to go back to your home country. You will be able to apply for a new national visa and return to Lithuania as soon as your student status is regained. 

After graduation

When applying for the last TRP for the study purpose, it is usually issued by the Migration Department for a period of 6 months longer than the period of study. 

After graduation, you also have the right to obtain the TRP for 12 additional months in order to look for a job in Lithuania and self-employment purposes. 

To obtain this TRP you have to complete an online application form and upload the following documents: 

  1. Diploma instead of the mediation letter; 
  1. Valid travel document (Passport);  
  1. Valid temporary residence permit; 
  1. Proofs of sufficient amount of subsistence funds (at least 840 EUR per month); 
  1. Health Insurance (Minimum coverage amount – 6000 EUR. Must be valid till the expiration date of TRP); 
  1. Document about a place of residence in the LR (place of residence declared for the whole period of requested TRP); 
  1. State fee (120 EUR/within 2 months. 240 EUR/within 1 month). Foreigners who have completed their studies in Lithuania may not pay the state fee for issuing or changing a temporary residence permit for one time. 

NOTE. Such a TRP is not issued to visa holders, only to holders of a valid study permit.